Sunday 19 May 2013




What Ho chaps!

Now isn't this what we fly for!

8/8 to the floor 2 hours to the diversion airfield, according to Air Traffic Control (ATC) Melbourne, yes Melbourne over 5000 nautical miles away is running the show, the runway is at my 12 o'clock 8 miles we're at 2000 feet, and' can only see water and lots of it, my vision of ice cold beers has turned into a vision of floating in a life raft (maybe) in shark-infested waters for days on end .

We are at 3 miles nothing, I take her down to 500 to see if I can see anything at all and there smack in front of us is is the runway with a Fokker F28 taking off towards us, I select full flaps lower the under cart and we drop onto the runway falling under his belly hope it scared him as much as it did me.

Reminds me of one time I was helping out ATC at RAF Kinloss, late on a Friday afternoon, the local controller one Master Signaller Crossword (you know who you are, don't you?), it was getting to dusk and a bit of a mist was falling, 
I was on the main runway with the yellow peril (ATC Landrover ) putting out glim lights (battery operated emergency lighting) I crossed the centre line for the Nth time carrying one in each hand like to buckets, when out of the mist came at some speed an English Electric Canberra of 7 Squadron, I'm not sure who was most surprised, later we went to the mess and got slowly drunk.

Regards to all

Percy


No comments:

Post a Comment